Business Master’s Programs for Military Veterans

Syracuse University has been ranked the #1 private institution for veterans by Military Times in 2019. Our proud history of serving veterans dates to post-World War II, when it was ranked as the top New York university, and among the top 20 nationally, for students enrolled under the original GI Bill in 1947.

The Veterans Resource Center serves prospective and enrolled students as they navigate Veterans Affairs (VA) and University administration and manages the SU Veterans Lounge, which is staffed by fellow veterans.

Military Support Programs

The VA administers several education programs as set forth by law, Title 38 of the United States Code. Each program is found in a different chapter of the law, and each program provides specific benefits for different groups of individuals.

For information about your own eligibility, visit the VA website or call directly at 1-888-442-4551. Syracuse does not have and cannot provide veteran-specific student information.

Syracuse participates in the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) Active Duty Educational Assistance Program
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Chapter 31)
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP Chapter 32)
  • Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34)

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill, also known as Chapter 33, is the newest benefit program, created for individuals who have served on active duty after September 10, 2001. The rate of payment is based on the length of time served. For instructions on how to apply for Post-9/11 GI Benefits, download our Post-9/11 GI Bill one-sheeter.

Yellow Ribbon Enhancement

As part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Syracuse University partners with the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide the Yellow Ribbon Program enhancement to the basic educational benefit. As part of the Yellow Ribbon Program, the University’s degree programs are often fully funded for veterans. The Whitman School of Management will pay up to $12,400 per student per year for all eligible students.

Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty

The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty, also known as Chapter 30, is the most common program. It is for individuals who entered into active duty any time after July 1, 1985, and who paid into an education fund for one year.

Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserves

The Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserves, also known as Chapter 1606, is for individuals in the Selected Reserve or National Guard (not on active duty). They must be actively drilling and under a six-year contract. They are eligible for benefits only as long as they remain in the Reserves or Guard.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), also known as Chapter 1607, is a recent Department of Defense education benefit program, designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to war or national emergency (contingency operation), as declared by the president or Congress. This program makes certain individuals who were activated after September 10, 2001, eligible for either education benefits or increased benefits.

Dependents Educational Assistance Program

The Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA), also known as Chapter 35, is for dependents of a member of the armed forces who died in active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability, or is 100 percent permanently and totally disabled, based on a service-related reason.

Dependents receive up to 45 months of full-time benefits. Children are generally eligible for benefits between the ages of 18 and 26, but in certain instances may begin before age 18 and continue beyond age 26. They must have a VA file or claim number (C#) that is related to the parent or spouse under whom they are eligible. The dependent’s file is also identified with a suffix (10 or W, 41 or A, 42 or B, etc.). The Chapter 35 program has its own application form (VA Form 22-5490), and its own Change of Program/Training form (VA Form 22-5495).

Get Started Today

With an online master’s program from Syracuse, prepare to rise in your military career, enter the civilian workforce, or manage your own business. Request more information today.

Applying for Benefits

To decide which chapter is appropriate for your educational goals, visit the GI Bill web site. The decision to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill is irrevocable. Weigh your options carefully.

You will need to notify the Veterans Administration that you wish to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill Educational Benefit by completing a 22-1990 (or 22-1990E if transferring benefits to a dependent). If transferring educational benefits (TEB) to a dependent, there is a preliminary step to apply with the Department of Defense.

The VA 22-1990 or 22-1990E may be done online through Education Benefits Application. After this is completed, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You must submit a copy of the COE that you receive from the VA (which may take several weeks after you submit the 22-1990/22-1990E) with your request for benefit certification form. You may send the form by scanning and e-mailing it to Alternatively, you can fax the form to 315-443-6689 or mail it:

Veterans Resource Center

700 University Avenue

Syracuse, NY 13244

If you do not yet have the Certificate of Eligibility, we can assist you in working with the Bursar’s Office if we have copies of both of the following documents, submitted prior to being issued the COE:

  • A copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense
  • A copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents)

Required SU application: When you are ready to enroll at Syracuse, you will need to complete. the Request for Certification form for each term in which you want to use your benefits because, in some terms, student veterans do not want to use months of benefit entitlement.


Application Fee Waiver

Post-9/11 veterans of the armed forces may have their admissions fee waived upon verification by Veterans Resource Center staff. Identify yourself as a Post-9/11 veteran when completing the online admissions application and contact the Center for further instructions at 315-443-3261 or 315-443-9297. You will need to provide your COE or the combination of your DD-214 and a copy of your submitted VA 22-1990 application.

Financial Aid

In addition to Veterans Education Benefits, students may apply for and receive federal aid. Syracuse University encourages all students to apply for financial aid. Student veterans may wish to consider applying for financial aid to provide financial resources during gap periods when Veterans Education Benefit payments are unavailable or prior to payments starting (i.e., in case of delays).

The aid process begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Additional instructions for graduate students may be found on the SU financial aid pages.

Download this guide to financial aid for members of the armed forces, which explains what you need to know about your federal student loan benefits.

Student Account/Bursar Bill

Within a week of the start of classes of a student’s first enrollment, a student account is created. Online MBA students may view account information online on MySlice, using their NetID and password. Veterans Education Benefit payments received by the University are posted to the student account. Credit balances resulting from overpayment of charges may be refunded upon request. Refund requests are placed online using MySlice. Learn more about Bursar Accounts.

The Veterans Resource Center will assist with payment deferrals while awaiting Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition and fee payments, provided that the student has submitted the following required documentation:

In lieu of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE), two documents, submitted prior to being issued the COE, are acceptable:

  • A copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense, AND
  • A copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents)

For more information, contact the SU Veterans Resource Center at 315-443-3261 or