In light of the COVID-19 health crisis, Syracuse University is accepting unofficial transcripts for admission decisions to online programs.
All of Whitman’s online master’s programs require students to have completed a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university. MBA@Syracuse, Entrepreneurship@Syracuse and BusinessAnalytics@Syracuse students are also expected to have at least one year of full-time work experience. There is no work experience requirement for the Accounting@Syracuse program.
To complete your application, you must submit the following:
The application fee for each program is $75, and it is nonrefundable. The application fee is reduced to $45 for those students who submit by the priority deadline. Application fee waivers are available for active-duty service members, veterans, and McNair Scholars.
You will be required to write two personal essays. The questions are available in the online application.
For Entrepreneurship@Syracuse, you will write one essay and create a business plan. Learn more about what this business plan entails.
Letters of Recommendation
You will be required to submit two letters of recommendation; you can submit three if you feel that an additional letter will better support your application. Professional recommendations from individuals who know you in an occupational setting are recommended, and at least one should be written by a current or former supervisor. References should be able to speak to your ability to succeed in a rigorous program and to your career goals.
Access Our Comprehensive Curriculum Guide
Receive the MBA@Syracuse program requirements, full course descriptions, and sample residency locations in one convenient guide. Request information today to download the guide and to speak with a dedicated admissions counselor about your questions and career goals.
Official degree-bearing transcripts are required. You may be required to submit transcripts from the other academic institutions you have attended as well. Please send transcripts to:
Application Processing Services
7900 Harkins Road
Lanham, MD 20706
Many schools issue transcripts electronically, either through their own web services or through vendors. If this option is available through the institutions you attended, please specify that your transcript(s) be sent to email@example.com as this will expedite the delivery of your transcript(s) and the completion of your application.
If you earned credits at an international institution outside of a study-abroad program, please see our International Applicants section for guidelines on verifying your U.S. degree equivalency.
Resume or CV
In a current business resume, list any relevant professional experience, including title, dates, and full-time or part-time status.
GRE or GMAT Scores
You are required to submit your official, current GRE or GMAT scores.
Syracuse Educational Testing Service (ETS) school codes are:
MBA@Syracuse GMAT: NG0-SB-51
Accounting@Syracuse GMAT: NG0-SB-45
BusinessAnalytics@Syracuse GMAT: NG0-SB-76
Entrepreneurship@Syracuse GMAT: NG0-SB-24
Remember, test scores may take up to five weeks to reach the university, so be sure to register to take any required tests as soon as you can. Scores must be sent through the testing service that is administering the test in order to be considered official.
If you have worked full time in a professional, corporate function for five or more years, you may be eligible to waive the GRE/GMAT requirement for MBA@Syracuse or Entrepreneurship@Syracuse.
Applicants for BusinessAnalytics@Syracuse may be eligible for a GMAT waiver if they have one year of professional work experience and:
- an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above, or
- an undergraduate degree in statistics, math, engineering, finance, information technology, physics, supply chain, or economics, or
- a master’s degree in any field.
Applicants for Accounting@Syracuse may be eligible for a GMAT or GRE waiver if they have:
- Five or more years of relevant work experience, or
- an undergraduate degree in accounting with a GPA of 3.0 or higher; or
- an undergraduate degree in business with a GPA of 3.2 or higher and at least one year of work experience; or
- an undergraduate degree in any field with a GPA of 3.4 or higher and at least one year of work experience; or
- a master’s degree in any field.
Contact an admissions counselor to learn more about testing waivers and review the MBA@Syracuse GMAT/GRE Waiver Policy.
Select candidates will be asked to complete a personal interview with a member of the admissions committee. If you are selected for an interview, you will not need to travel; all interviews will take place online via videoconference. You may not request an interview.
No formula is employed in admissions decision making. Candidates are evaluated individually, with special consideration given to professional experience and accomplishments, including potential for career growth and advancement.
Other factors that are considered are the candidate's prior academic success, GRE or GMAT exam scores, and communication skills as evidenced in the application essays.
English Proficiency Exams
Our program requires students to engage in group discussions, class participation, and oral presentations. In order to be successful in this program, students must possess a high proficiency in written and oral English.
Syracuse codes for English proficiency exams are:
- TOEFL: 2823
- PTE: 5LD-BQ-15
- IELTS: See Instructions Below
Applicants who are citizens of the following English-speaking countries are not required to submit test scores: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, and the United Kingdom.
If you have worked or studied at an institution in the United States or an English-speaking province in Canada for more than four years, you may be eligible to waive the English proficiency exam requirement. Contact an admissions counselor to learn more about testing waivers.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Instructions
Students may demonstrate competency by submitting scores from IELTS as an alternative to the TOEFL or PTE. Our institution requires an overall band score be submitted.
The Whitman School only accepts scores submitted electronically by the IELTS test center. No paper Test Report Forms will be accepted. An institutional code is NOT required. Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your test scores be sent electronically using the IELTS system to Syracuse University – Whitman School of Management.
All IELTS test centers worldwide are able to send scores electronically to our institution. You must provide the following information when requesting your scores:
Syracuse University – Whitman School of Management
Organization ID: 126339
721 University Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244-2450
United States of America
U.S. Degree Equivalency
Applicants who studied at colleges and universities outside the U.S. should have a degree or diploma that is the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher. International credentials are assessed in terms of the educational pattern of the country, the type of institution attended, and the level of study completed before the expected date of enrollment at Whitman. In general, the degree should represent a minimum of four years of college-level study, which follows at least 12 years of schooling at the elementary and secondary level.
You may also submit a WES credential evaluation report (www.wes.org) to verify that your degree is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.
The following are general guidelines for equivalents to a U.S. bachelor's degree:
- Canada — A three-year bachelor's degree from Quebec or a four-year bachelor's degree from the other provinces.
- Latin America — A university degree requiring four years of study.
- United Kingdom and countries following the British pattern — A bachelor's degree with honors.
- France and countries following the French pattern — A license, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a degree or diploma requiring four years of study after the baccalaureate, usually the Maitrise.
- Germany — A Bakkalaureus degree, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise completion of the diploma.
- Other European countries — A university degree requiring a minimum of three years of study, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a university degree requiring a minimum of four years of study.
- Australia — A bachelor's degree: Ordinary or Pass
- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal — A bachelor's degree of engineering (BE), a bachelor's degree of technology (BT), or a master's degree in any other field.
- India — Three-year bachelor's degrees earned in Division or Class I and II at universities accredited by the NAAC with a grade of A will be evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree (based on WES's new evaluation criteria).
- Other Asian countries — A university degree requiring four years of study.